Skip to main content

Life After Death and Taxes

(The title is a Relient K song. They're awesome.)

Recently, I went to an amazing youth conference called Districts. I learned and grew a whole lot. The speaker there was talking about heaven on the last day, and how many people imagine it so wrongly.

For example: when I was little, I was afraid of dying simply because I thought heaven would be boring. Some days I still feel that way.

But let me remind you, heaven is not white robes and sitting on clouds. It's not playing a harp or becoming an angel. (You don't become an angel when you die, they're a whole separate thing.) And, as the antithesis, hell is also pictured as flat and one-dimensional. Sometimes even fun. Do you honestly think eternal pain, suffering, and "crying and gnashing of teeth" will be fun? 

Hell was made specifically for Satan, and he's not gonna go down without dragging as many poor souls as he can with him. But, it's your choice where you go.

God loves everyone. He doesn't want anyone to go to hell. If you accept that he's real, accept that you're not perfect, and accept that you don't actually deserve heaven, Jesus can and will change your sentence. He died as a sacrifice for you, so that you don't have to worry about hell. But if you deny him, he has no choice but to deny you. Again; your choice.

Frankly, I think people only react in the "see you in hell" way to get attention or shocked fury from religious folk. I once saw someone post on social media "do I get to bring my iPod to hell? I'd like to listen to music." It was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, and yet, people take heaven and hell so lightly because they don't believe they exist.

Heaven and hell are very real, and not a place you'd bring your iPod. (That's a worldly possession, and it'll be gone anyway.)

Now, let's talk about heaven.

Revelation 21:4 says "He will wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever. That doesn't sound like angels playing harps on fluffy clouds. It's such a comforting thought- you will never again be sad, no one will die, there will be nothing to hurt you.

Another passage in Revelation: (21:3) "God’s home is now with his people. He will live with them, and they will be his own. Yes, God will make his home among his people." God will live with us, talk to us, be right there. 


Don't let yourself be tricked. "The greatest trick the devil ever played was to convince the world he didn't exist." He's real, but so is God.


It's your choice, and I won't take that away from you; I just want you to know what's on both sides.

Just keep this in mind- heaven will be new, amazing, and totally worth your forever.

Popular posts from this blog

Loving Yourself When You Love Someone with Mental Illness

There are many articles online about how to love someone with a mental illness. I do not want to say that those are unimportant; they are very, very important. But something I have not seen in any article is the message that they need to care for themselves as well. It's hard to love someone in the middle of the storm. It's hard to give so much of yourself up for someone who may not appreciate you at the time. It's hard to know when to stop giving, and it's even harder to "Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life." (Prov 4:23) So, today I am here to talk to the children, the best friends, the partners of those with mental illness. From someone who both experiences depression and anxiety and has family/friends with various mental illness, I'm here to say: take care of yourself, too. You are not supposed to fix them. You can't. As I posted recently, "you don't 'cure' mental illness; you treat it through an ev

In Support of Emotional Abuse Survivors

Dear survivor: Before anything else, I want to tell you your trauma is valid. Even if you don't have bruises or scars and you feel like you don't have "proof." Even if you were only with them for a short time. Even if you feel like it was your fault and you had your chance to leave. You are not crazy or complaining for being honest about your trauma. You are not the only one who feels this way. You are not alone in your confusion, frustration, and pain. It may take you a long time to recognize that you were abused. It may take years. That doesn't mean you're making it up. It may take several therapists to properly deal with your residual feelings. That doesn't mean you're being too dramatic. Someday, you might find yourself doing things that your abuser used to do, and you start to panic and think "I'm turning into him/her." You're not. You're not like them. You're a survivor and you can change those behaviors and be b

How My Hypersensitive Hearing Fuels My Anxiety

We live in a very loud world. Unbearably so, to someone born with hypersensitive heaing/misophonia like me. It's a form of sound sensitivity much like hyperacusis. I cannot stand sounds above a certain decibel level, and I live often in chronic fear of being overwhelmed by sounds. I also have depression and anxiety. I'm not sure if my sensory disorder caused my anxiety, or if it's just adding fuel to a fire that's been burning for a long time. Either way, I am at my most panicked when I am being overwhelmed by sound. When I was little, it was so much worse. My sound aversions were unbearable; I lived in terror of the fire alarms at school, I refused to flush public toilets because of how loud they were, Fourth of July was absolutely a nightmare. During much of the month of July, I would walk around in public with bulky headphones like you would at the gun range. I'm sure I looked ridiculous. Anxiety weighed on me and I didn't know how to get help. These di